Friday, May 15, 2009

New AASL National Survey on Independent School Libraries

Hi Everyone:
Happy Friday. AP Exams are over and graduation is looming just ahead. A very exciting time for a lot of people.
I found this excellent national study done by the AASL (Amer Assn of School Libraries - Independent Libraries section) on characteristics of private school libraries. They covered budgets, staffing, and cataloged resources.
Standard library collection appears to be 10 to 15,000 items. My library's collection certainly needs to grow, but in order to deal with the growing pains of a new high school, I have made myself the main library resource and thus have built a very strong instructional program. Hence, the outreach that I do and my high level of involvement in professional associations.
Read the survey. I am sure you will find it interesting to compare your program to national standards:
Jeanne Swedo
JSerra Cath HS

No comments: